Monday, August 1, 2011

Monster Kings

I went down to the boats after dinner last night to bale them before bed and once again kings were jumping and rolling right behind the boats. I rigged my 10 foot rod up with a leader and made a couple casts. After several hits and landing 2 15 pound kings I hooked a monster fish. As soon as I set the hook I knew something was different. My reel screamed as 175 yards of line disappeared in one fast continuous run. I debated whether to chase it downriver or try and pull it back up. Faced with losing all my line I chose to chase it. As I started down the bank I felt the pressure release and instantly knew I had just lost what might have been the biggest fish of the season. I reeled all my line in and after a close inspection realized my small Gamakatsu hooks are no match for a really huge king in fast water.

With a new trophy hunting game plan I tied several 5/0 Owner cutting point hooks up and proceeded to laugh at any trout that dared bite my line. It didn’t take but 7 or 8 casts and I found myself once again tied into an absolute monster king unlike any I have ever hooked!!

This fish used every inch of the long stretch of river running hundreds of yards in every direction just to turn and run again. From up in the dining room window I must have looked like a lunatic swatting mosquitos and crazily jumping from boat to boat trying to gain any line on the monster I had hooked. Armed with my huge hook and beefy rod I leaned into the fish and pulled with all my weight only to have the rod shutter and bend all the way into the cork handle. After almost an hour I realized I was fighting a losing battle and started yelling for Chelsea to come help. She showed up and both of us marveled at the size of the swirls this huge fish was making as it kept up its steady march downriver. By now I had had this fish on for an hour and was no closer to landing it then when I first hooked it. I had run out of bank and was faced with the sickening realization the fish was making its way for the left arm and I was standing on the right. With over 250 yards of line out and nowhere to go, I sadly thumbed the spool in a Hail Mary last ditch effort to turn the fish. I cringed as I felt all 250 yards of 65# braid stretch until breaking point and finally with a loud cracking sound I felt the line part.

I have still not gotten over loosing that fish. There might only be a hand full of fish like that one swim up this river each season but, if you want a shot at landing one, we need to gear up accordingly. I am currently rethinking my strategy for this afternoon and I will not be caught with my pants down again, I guarantee it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment